Friday, November 28, 2008

Lick the Stamp--For Me

When it comes to the holidays, I am a strict traditionalist. Please do not inject butter into my turkey breast or cook the whole thing in a vat of oil. The stuffing can have some celery or waterchestnuts to add a little crunch, but don't add craisins, wild rice or green olives. Creativity in the kitchen is fun and fine the whole year--except holidays.


Another tradition to which I firmly cling, despite society changing all around, is the Christmas card. The format changes from year to year, but it is always printed on paper and sent in the mail, with a stamp. I enjoy sitting down to write the letter; it helps me to look back on the year and contemplate our blessings. As I fill out each address, by hand, I think of those favorite friends that I don't often (or ever) see.
Then there are the reply Christmas cards. I love, love to watch my friends' families grow and see the changes they make in their lives. I look forward to the mail each day and squeal with delight at the sight of a green or red or candycane envelope. The children in the pictures look like the friends I played with on the playground--now parents themselves. Then, after each letter is read, the cards and pictures are lovingly taped to the front door where I can enjoy the happy colors and thoughts of those whom I love.I know it is cheaper to send out e-cards. I know it takes a long time to address all of those envelopes and to get that perfect picture. But holding a card is akin to touching a dear friend--one you haven't seen for years or family you just saw at the Thanksgiving dinner.

I'll be getting those Christmas cards out soon and I'll still be serving cranberry sauce. . .with the imprint of the can forever in it's sides.

1 comment:

  1. You are a girl after my own heart! Christmas e-cards are so lame. And I definitely prefer the canned cranberry stuff to the fresh stuff. I'm so excited to know that I'm not alone on these things!

    ReplyDelete