Saturday, November 22, 2008

Passing the Time

Sometimes being the Mothership is difficult. Sometimes, I wish I could get my house clean and have it stay that way for a few minutes. Sometimes, I wish I didn't have to drive a van. Sometimes, I wish I could just go to bed when I was tired. Sometimes, I wish I could eat my dessert without sharing one bite.

Sometimes.
When telling a friend of a current child-rearing difficulty, he said, This, too, shall pass.

But, I don't want it to just pass. I want to be here--in the now.
If my house is always clean, that means we aren't playing together, reading together, dancing together. We are cleaning.If I have a zippy little car, that means I don't have girls, girls everywhere. No ribbons, no mothers-in-training, no childish laughter.

If I go to bed when I am tired, that means I am not kissing the tiniest toes and touching the softest skin and smelling the sweetest neck. There are no lullabies.


If I do not share every bite, then that means I do not have the reward of joy.

So, Pestering Wants, back off. I'm busy. You can wait because right now I am enjoying this:

3 comments:

  1. You are such a good mom. I don't see the bright side quite as well as you! And your pictures are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree. I want to enjoy this time too, not just be waiting for everything to be in its place! Isn't so funny how almost every Mom you talk to that is older, gives the advice to enjoy every minute. Because when you look back the time has flown and now you don't have the chance to hold them when they're sick, kiss them when they're sad, and snuggle at night with them. I think one of Satan's greatest tools is to warp Mother's into thinking that they have to be fulfilled in ways other than just being a Mom. Ummmmmm, have you ever considered writing a book? You really need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet post. I am an older mom (15,11,&6) & although I do have some sweet moments with my little guy, I miss sweet toes to kiss (perish the thought now), hugs & slobbery kisses, & being the best person in the universe. It doesn't mean that it wasn't hard, but I would love just a glimpse for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete