Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Generation Gap

This is my profile picture--the one everyone sees if they look at my profile or when I comment on a blog. It took five months of having a blog before a fairly decent shot was taken. And isn't my blue-eyed baby sweet?This is my niece's profile picture. Let me just say that I LOVE this girl. She is funny and smart and sassy and wise well beyond her 17 years. I think everyone who knows her LOVES her. . . in all caps.

But, dearest girl, why did you put your bobble head as your profile picture?

This is where I want to point out a marked difference in generations. People my age and older try to have normal pictures on display for the world. Many have professional photos posted. Generally speaking, we are looking at the camera, we are smiling, we are looking up so our double chins aren't pronounced, we are wearing make-up.
But this younger group has all kinds of not-normal pictures posted. They make every face that we used to call silly-face posted for the world!

And I am not kidding when I say that some of them are just weird! My niece has this artsy business going that make her profile pictures fun to look at, but some of her friends look downright goofy. Flaring nostrils and sticking-out tongues are the norm.


This is also the generation who will wear sweat pants partly rolled up (or down) and carry a gold sequined purse. They spend hours fixing their hair to make it look like they just rolled out of bed.



I wish I had some of their gumption, but, here on the eve of my 32nd birthday, I suppose I should not try to look like them. I would look stupid.


I guess I'll stick to my normal poses. Maybe I should take up quilting, too. And join DAR. And start getting my hair done each week at a salon. And buy some of these:

1 comment:

  1. Your profile picture is great!

    I like all the pictures of your niece too - too funny. I love seeing the silly Facebook pics people post. We are old-fashioned white bread wearing polyester pants kinda folks.

    ReplyDelete