Monday, January 19, 2009

Gingerly Reaching Out to Fashion

So, here's the thing. I am 32 years old and I have five children. I want to dress attractively and modern, however, lines can sometimes be confusing for me. Though I want to be vibrant and fresh, I do not want to look like I am trying to be 22 or that I raided my daughter's closet. On the other hand, I have to be careful that I don't slip in to frump-town unawares or find myself in a dress I wore in high school--in 1995.

I have never been great at dressing myself. (Not the actual putting on of the jeans, but the choosing of the jeans.) Because I am unwilling to buy anything that is not 75% off, I do not buy clothes that work well together. I end up forcing the pants to go with the top that, combined, cost $8.50. I appreciate good fashion (love Project Runway and the very talented and inspiring contestants), but I am too cheap to buy it and not talented enough to create it.

A while back on The Office, there was a character named Holly. She seemed to be at least my age and--in my lame-o view--didn't cross either the too young or the frumpy lines. And she had dark, dark fingernails.

Ooh, I thought. Aren't those fun?! She made them look sophisticated, not like a thirty-something woman who missed her goth phase and decided to rewind. That's the only picture I could find that showed the fingernails. Here is a better picture of Holly.

My sister sent me a batch of really dark nail polish for my birthday. I tried out the dark brown first. I have to say, I am feeling a little sassy and, dare I say, sexy.
The problem with the New Me? Dishes. They don't like painted nails and do everything in their power to destroy them. Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted.
Maybe I'll paint them again the next time the stars align and the children don't need me to touch them or their stuff for thirty minutes together.

I hope you all find a way to be sassy today.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! next time take a picture!

    Love you..and I totally get the mom wear label. I think I might be there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark nail polish - sounds sassy! I occasionally (2x/year) like to go & get pedicures. I love the massage chair & the smelly stuff they rub into my legs.

    For clothes, I signed up for Missus Smarty Pants & got a list/plan for clothes that look good on me.

    ReplyDelete