Friday, January 30, 2009

Our Ark

In 2005, we decided to sell our house and move to a small college town so my husband could attend Pharmacy School. Because he did not have any previous college credit, we knew we would be students (plural, because even though I am not going to class everyday, our whole family is working together for his degree) for as many as eight years. With four babies and aspirations for more, we knew the only option for our family was for me to be home with them. Part of our fiscal plan for this adventure meant owning our own home.

People raised their eyebrows at us, warned us about going crazy in a small house with a tiny yard, worried aloud about lead paint and low income neighborhoods and exclaimed that, "A $500 monthly mortgage payment wouldn't be too hard." I was even told, "You wouldn't be the first wife to put your husband through school." And it's true, I wouldn't have been, but eight years is a long time in the lives of children and I wouldn't consider missing it.

We bought our humble home with cash. Over the past several years it has been Our Ark, our safe place amidst the storm. No matter what financial problems we are having, we know we have a place to live; shelter for our family.
I wish I had a before picture of our house, but I lost my hard drive a while ago that had those pictures on it. Suffice it to say, it needed a lot of work. We have improved our little home and I love it. There is still work to do. We are stacked on top of each other and old homes come with a plethora of problems. However, the sacrifices we have made are completely overshadowed by the blessings we have received as a result of purchasing what we could afford.
Just think how different your life would be if you didn't have to put any of your paycheck toward your mortgage! Wow, huh.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so cool. Life would be WONDERFUL without a mortgage. Luckily, when we moved from Seattle we bought a house "straight across" - same price. It is nice to not be so cash-strapped that we can't make the payment every month. And yet a secret something wishes that there was not a mortgage. ... with the downturn in the economy & a Democratic president in power (not good for defense budgets) we will just be grateful for now to have a job & a house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are wise. I've always thought so...even when I thought you were too loud. I miss the loud.

    ReplyDelete