Friday, February 20, 2009

Time

Last month I read Cheaper By the Dozen. If you haven't read it, do. It is a quick read and is full of wisdom that is delivered with a good deal of humor and love. One of the major themes of the book, is Time--specifically, the use of time. Frank Gilbreth, the dad, was the first Efficiency Expert and was quite passionate about it. He tested many of his theories on his family and they were all required to find the most efficient way to do everything. It got me to thinking: How do I use my time?
Then I found this:

"Satan has a powerful tool to use against good people. It is distraction. He would have good people fill their lives with good things so there is no room for the essential ones." Richard G Scott.

And, also, this:

"We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families." Dallin H Oaks.

So, I started a log. Do you ever go to bed at night and wonder what the heck you did that day that made you so tired? For the last couple of days, I have kept track of my use of time on an hourly basis. I was relieved to discover that I am not lazy. I am often busy with the mundane, have-to-do-it-again-in-an-hour stuff so it sometimes feels like I am getting nothing done.(Remember, when Pam had to keep track of what Michael did all day? His list included "Cosby Impression" and "Stood in Pretzel Line." Maybe I should get a job like that so I could get some rest.)

I will not bore you with all of the details of my log, but suffice it to say there is a lot of milk and a lot of poo involved. There are school projects with my children that will never be "done." I am in the kitchen a lot. Errands are time parasites.
Now, I am going to make another list: What are my highest priorities?

Then, taking the list and the log in hand, I am going to decide whether I am spending my time doing the good things or the essential ones.

Are you happy with the way you are spending your time?

2 comments:

  1. I am a horrible time manager. When my kids all entered school, I thought that I would have all the time in the world. I have found that I have the same job, just fewer distractions during the day. I worked on a schedule for a week last year as part of a class and it about killed me. Maybe time to start penciling in some efficiency though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good idea. I'm glad you realized you weren't lazy. There are really good reasons why we don't get much done some days. Somedays I just spend too much time on the computer! But usually I'm busy taking care of lots of little needs.

    ReplyDelete