Saturday, April 11, 2009

Washing Dishes

My house isn't messy because I hate cleaning. While cleaning is certainly not a hobby, I am capable and can be efficient at the household duties. One of my favorite "chores" is doing the dishes. I don't like the loading and unloading of the dishwasher part, but I do like hand washing part. I enjoy the warm, sudsy water and the bright, clean sinks when they are newly emptied. It's a good time to do a little daydreaming, pondering or visiting with whichever child happens to be helping rinse.

We didn't have an automatic dishwasher until I was a teenager. I put the automatic adjective in there because my parents were continually using the "that's what we have you kids for" line. They also bought a riding lawnmower on the way home from helping the last child move out.

Whatever.

When I washed dishes as a child, I disliked the muffin pans. I still do not enjoy washing those. They are just a pain. Now, though, I hate washing the rice pan. We like the sticky rice. It has a wonderful texture. The problem with sticky rice is that it is (obviously) sticky. It is difficult to wash off the table and impossible to sweep. It sticks to hands like a piece of stubborn scotch tape. My biggest compliant is that it leaves a thick crust inside the pan. I scrap and soak then dig the refuse out of the drain. Yuck. (Why am I the only person in the household who cleans out the drain trap? I am also the only person who puts my toothbrush away.)

So, I don't like washing rice pans or muffin tins, but I do like washing colanders. As a child I would save the colander for last, then play with it for a while. I'd vary the water pressure, experiment with the spray nozzle, swoosh the water back and forth as fast as I could to see how long I could keep water in the bowl with holes. I would look at the reaction the water in the filled sink had to my antics with the new arrivals. The suds would mound or dissipate, depending on what I did with the gadget. The droplets were mesmerizing--and I got water everywhere. (It made mopping the floor a breeze!)

I'm not sure why you needed that information, but tonight I was washing the rice pan and growling at it when I looked over and saw the colander awaiting it's turn. YES!

Sorry if I freaked you out a bit. I don't get out much and it's 2:14 am.

4 comments:

  1. We leave our rice cooker with water soaking overnight & everything slides right off in the morning. ... However, the thought of having the rice pan waiting to be cleaned might just be a reason to never get out of bed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you describe the joys and even the "mundane" tasks. Talk about finding joy in motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to appreciate my colander more. Thanks for the positive insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colanders are indeed a wonder! I have several for different uses. The muffin pans mock me. Sounds like it's in their makeup.

    ReplyDelete