Sunday, May 24, 2009

Resourceful and Industrious


There are two words that I have grown to love: resourceful and industrious. Emily means industrious and as a child I hated it. Why couldn't my name mean Gift From Heaven or Sweet as Sugar or Grassy Meadow? No, I had to be black, polluting smoke stacks. The allusion of the meaning of my name conjured up images from David Copperfield; not romantic, not beautiful, not feminine. Yet, as I matured, I came to understand how an industrious woman can be beautiful.

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it due,
Or due without.

This old adage is one by which I live--really, truly. I'm certainly not perfect in following it's advice, but it plays a governing role in our family finances. I especially love the Make it due line. It is fun to find new uses for old things. I try not to be a pack rat, but I do hold on to things that might be useful someday. It has saved me a lot of money over the years. Last night, for instance, I decided I needed a new skirt. I went to my Rubbermaid bin filled with sewing material. Some would look at my assortment of sheets, cloth napkins, out-of-date dresses, the bottom half of the the denim cut-offs, and the folded bargain bin yardage and wonder why in the world I was saving it. But, I rifled through the material and found a great vintage cowboy print that was given to me years ago. I couldn't toss it because I knew I would find a use for it someday. I used other salvaged materials and made myself an original, fun, FREE skirt.

I have used my industry and resourcefulness in other ways as well. I have painted murals using left-over paint, I made a mud room bench using old table legs and left-over bead board, and I've built a table from an old door. The purpose in telling you this is not for accolades, but to show that Making Due can be a great hobby. It doesn't matter if you are resourceful because you have to be or because you want to be, it will save you money and provide you with an abundance of unique projects.

How have you been resourceful?

1 comment:

  1. i meant to tell you that i liked your skirt on sunday. i can't believe you made it... and the night before!? nice work!
    how have i been resourceful? good question... i'll need a little more time to think about that one.

    ReplyDelete