Thursday, June 18, 2009

Classics Pass the Test of Time

When my brother and I were in the later part of our elementary school years, we had a few shows we watched together after school. This was one:



Yep. Every day. Wow. I want my 467 hours back.

But another was Leave It To Beaver. It was made in the late 50's and we were watching it three decades later, but it still made us laugh. My children recently discovered it on Netflix and have been watching it one or two episodes at a time. No matter what I'm doing, I'm drawn into the room to listen to the hi jinx of the Beav and Wally, June and Ward. The social/political aspects are quite refreshing (an episode where Beaver told compounding lies ended with an explanation of how God always knows when one is lying). There are the dominant gender roles of the 50's, but even that isn't as glaring as one might think. The biggest thing I am enjoying, watching these in my thirties instead of preteen years, is the relationship between Ward and June.

One scene has the parents discussing some pressing concern with the raising boys. I don't even remember the dialog, however, because I was caught up in the fact that as Ward placed the silverware, June followed behind, picking up the newly placed utensils and switching them to the correct placement. Hilarious! I can't be the only woman who has rearranged the dishwasher after her husband loaded it. Or, maybe it is just me.

Then there is Eddy Haskell, that rascal. As a child, I used to think, "Boy, Mrs. Cleaver always falls for Eddy's excuses and brown nosing. Why does he get away with everything?" Watching it now, I see Mrs. Cleaver's subtle body language that makes it obvious that she is not believing a word he says. I have to say that I am relieved. I always thought Mrs. Cleaver was smart, except for when it came to Eddy!

I'll leave you with one conversation that proves that boys are the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

June: Ward, do you know what this is? I just found it in the
Beavers' jeans.

Ward: Oh, yes. This is a horse's tooth.

June: Well, why would he want that?

Ward: I don't know, but I wouldn't trust a boy who didn't want
one.


Amen, Mr. Cleaver.

3 comments:

  1. I watched Thunder Cats every single day as well (Right after The Lost Cities of Gold).

    Isn't it interesting how we see things so differently when we grow up? I used to think Wally always pulled one over on June, too.

    Another one like that (for me) was Little Women. All the times I'd read it growing up (and even well into adulthood), the father being away at war was just a minor part of the story to me--barely mentionable. But then I read it while my husband was deployed to Iraq and suddenly it was like reading a whole new book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids LUH-HUV Emergency on Netflix. You know, the '70's show with the paramedics..."Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?"

    I'd forgotten about Thundercats entirely. I think we'll add them to our queue. The kids will get a kick out of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe joette hasn't commented yet on this post...

    Joette and I shared a full bed growing up...and at night we would always play "thundercats" we would put our legs in the air toward the ceiling and say "Thunder cats whoaaa" and then we would try to knock down the other's legs with our own. We thought we were so cool.

    We still try to play it sometimes...but it just isn't the same. The memory of playing it as little girls is far better...

    ReplyDelete