Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I'm Also a Runner

The baby woke me up at 4:45 AM. I took care of her extreme and urgent need of milk NOW then snuggled my nose into her neck to fall back asleep. Ah, sleep can be elusive when it is actually sleeping time. About 3:30 in the afternoon when one should be considering dinner, cleaning up spills, responding to e-mails, paying bills and weeding the flower beds, sleep is trying to butt in. Afternoon sleep tries to convince my muscles to relax, pleads with my eyelids to close and makes me be grumpy--all at a time when the children are awake (children who like to leave doors open so toddlers can escape into the freedom of the middle of the street)! Why then but not at 4:45 AM when everyone in the house is safe and snug in my their beds?

For some reason, I decided it was a perfect time to go for a run. Now, when I was young, I was the fastest kid on my block. That's right--the whole block. I won a race when I was in the 6th grade and from that time forth, I became The Track Star. This title was pulled out anytime anyone needed something that would require someone to go a long distance to retrieve. Dad needed a tool out of the garage that was half a mile away, "Hey, run and get the wrench, Track Star!" Oh, yes, sir. I'm delighted to offer my talents for the betterment of mankind and world peace. Brother left his shovel in the midst of the potato hills he just finished digging, "Will you get my shovel for me, Track Star?" Absolutely! I know my skills will save your day and possibly prevent you from getting cancer. I fell for the Track Star line a lot . . . a lot.

I pulled on my yoga pants that have never experienced yoga and tied on my shiny, white running shoes that are two years old and have rarely experienced running. It was a perfect morning for a run.

I ran around one block. One.

Then I came home and landed on the couch in a fit of Oh. My. Word. I. Think. I. May. Die.

I feel a bit like Bob: I run. I run now. I'm a a runner, with the street and the shoes and the wind in my hair. You know, a runner.

3 comments:

  1. My husband Scott just said, "She's funny! She's a good writer!!!" :)

    Thanks for the running story. I am not a fabulous runner by any stretch of the imagination. Scott does that for the both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not have even made it around one block. Good for you for getting up and going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I appreciate the "urgent need for milk NOW".
    Good for you for effort on the run, Track Star!"
    Flattering CAN get you pretty far!

    ReplyDelete