Monday, June 1, 2009

Peach Jam

My blog is small. My site meter does not register enough readers to earn any advertising dollars, so my writing is for purposes other than the money. Sometimes I write so that I can understand myself better, sometimes it is so I can flesh out my understanding of the world around me. The writing organizes my thoughts, explains my emotions, allows me to vent my frustrations, and connects me to others. That last point has been one of the most rewarding. My time is limited so I haven't been able to "advertise" my site effectively. Therefore, it is the most exciting thing when a fellow blogger (especially someone I read and adore) mentions my name! Thrilling! Not that it happens often, but when it does, my heart leaps into my throat and my pulse quickens. I feel famous, if only for that 13 seconds.

Katherine at Raising Five recently mentioned my name in connection with some correspondence about canning peaches. Being in the frigid north where we've only just had warm enough weather to put out tomato plants, it is hard to imagine that in our same country people are harvesting peaches. Katherine is in Texas, however, and requested jam recipes. Here is our family favorite:

Peach Marmalade
5 c mashed peaches
5 c sugar
1 c crushed pineapple (partly drained)
1/4 c lemon juice

--combine and boil 2 minutes--

add
6 oz orange jello

--boil 5 minutes, stirring, always stirring--

Skim off the foam, pour into pint jars and seal.


Now, the pectin boxes always instruct you to process in a water bath. I never have, my mother and grandmother (and who knows how far back), never process jams in a water bath. The liquid is so darn hot when you pour it in the jars that they are plenty sterile. After you have softened the sealant on the canning lid, put on the ring and tighten. Turn the jar over on a towel and wait until the jam is cool. The lid will not "pop" when they are sealed.


For those of you who do not live 4500 feet above sea level, I hope you can enjoy this recipe now. For the rest of you, it'll be more like late August or September!

And, thank you for reading. It is wonderful to find soul mates living, quite literally, all over the globe.

Yours Truly,
Emily

2 comments:

  1. I am going to the store today and will be getting all the ingredients for this...I will let you know how it goes! I am also going to try the "non-water-bath" method. See, I would never have been gutsy enough to try that on my own! Thanks for all your encouragement!

    Love to you and yours!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you recommended the non-water-bath method. That is also the method I've used for years. I just flip the jars for 5 minutes, which heats the seal enough, and then flip them back over. Then, we have a "no touch" policy for 24 hours before placing them on the shelves in the garage.

    My kids and I canned 150+ quarts of jam last summer (peach, strawberry, and raspberry). We don't get our peaches until late August, either.

    blessings,

    mama of 13

    ReplyDelete