Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Getting My Hopes Up

Every summer since 1999, my parents have gone on a two to four week motorcycle tour of different parts of the US and Canada. They call it their Three Week Hug (Mom doesn't drive, she rides). I used to live about ten minutes away from their house and so visited regularly. I absolutely love my parents.


Last night, I was weeding my flower beds and had my back to the road. I heard the distinctive sound of a Harley roaring down the street. It made me smile, as I thought of my parents on their road trip. I hope they are having a good time, I thought. Then, the Harley began to slow down right in front of my house! I jumped up, heart fluttering, thinking my parents were surprising us (they have never done this)! As I turned, I saw a 62 year old man with a gray beard, split in the middle, with the wind blowing it over his shoulders, pulling up to the neighbor's house.
Miss you, Mom and Dad. See you in August!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had that momentary disappointment. I think a motorcycle trip sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember......Betsy's Alternate-reality-life is being a Harley-Driving-Member of a biker gang.

    I would only see her if for some strange reason she decided to come down to the beach (in Hawaii) in all of her black leather....and ask about the Super-Surfer-Beach-Dude which would be me.

    ReplyDelete