Monday, July 27, 2009

Retrenching

Several months ago, I wondered what it was that kept me busy all day so I kept a log. I learned, to my great relief, that I am not lazy, just busy with the mundane tasks associated with small children (wipe, pick up, put away, cook, repeat). I do have a little discretionary time, however. After I knew where my time was going, I made another list; a list of my highest life priorities. I then tried to plan my time better to make sure my family and I were getting the most out of my discretionary time. Was my leisure time reflecting my most important goals?

That was several months ago, but things slip and I have found that it is time to do it again. I am retrenching. I am reassessing . I am recommitting.


We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families.

~Dallin H Oaks


That seems pretty straightforward, but what are the good, better and best? How do we decide which areas to pursue? I think our priorities must change according to our life seasons or we will go crazy trying to do it all. Some things, like scripture study and prayer, should be at the top of anyone's To Do list regardless of age and responsibility. Some things are temporary, like tending to sick children or university educations.

What are my top priorities?

  1. Return to my Heavenly Father by dedicating my heart, might, mind and soul to Him.
  2. Teach my family with the hope that my #1 will become their #1.
  3. Become a well educated, provident, wise woman.

    That's it.


    That's huge.


    Here is my commitment: Personal gospel study will improve. Family gospel study will occur more frequently. Exercise will continue. Bedtimes will be enforced. There are a few other, more private goals, but I am determined to do better.

    Satan has a powerful tool to use against good people. It is distraction. He would have good people fill their lives with good things so there is no room for the essential ones.

    ~Richard G Scott

    I'm sure you will be reading a similar post in a few months. By then, after all, my life will have changed yet again.

    2 comments:

    1. I was having these same thoughts the past week(s) and then the speaker yesterday totally confirmed what my heart has been feeling. Time for another "6-month NO" and a "Family building YES". Isn't it amazing how easy it is to let things creep into our schedules/lives that keep us from our goals?

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm right there with you Emily. Recently recommited to many of the same myself. The funny thing is, I asked my mom for some suggestions on how to do better (I always see her as such a rock of spirituality) and she said that she to struggles plenty with keeping up on her own studies, and still doesn't always feel like doing them, etc. It was good to know that I'm not the only one, and that the best thing is just continue to try to do better!

      ReplyDelete