Sunday, August 2, 2009

John


I know I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but I get a kick out of people talking about Revelation--the Book of Revelation, that is. Truth be told, I am completely confused by all the angels and dragons and trumpets and nymphs. Isaiah? I get Isaiah. I understand flowery language, poetry, saying the same thing in four ways (which is probably why I also enjoy Dickens). But when people pull the mark of the beast out of their hat and act like the supreme authority on it's meaning and nuance, I just start giggling behind my thoughtful expression. The book is an enigma to me, I mean, what the heck is the beast with the seven heads and the ten horns? Am I alone here?

Obviously, there is an important purpose for the Book of Revelation, otherwise the Lord would not have had it included in our canon, but it doesn't speak to me in the way John does (yes, I understand that John also wrote Revelation--I think he was trying out a new literary style), or David, or Moses.


If you enjoy Revelation go at it! It is not my cup of tea. May propose that it is infinitely more valuable to study
prayer,

faith,

love,

sacrifice,

and grace.


Maybe when I am 68 and full of a lifetime of wisdom I'll join you in your quest to discover the identity of the 144,000. Until then, I'll stick with John's decipherable truth:




For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I was right. Already in trouble . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Wasn't it just you who was trying to describe the apocolypse to me? Thought so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, now wait. I was saying that I hate, in reference to a movie, when Hollywood portrays divine things as scary/creepy/alien. I don't know much about the apocolypse--and I'm impressed that you can even spell it!!

    ReplyDelete