Thursday, August 27, 2009

Oh, Thank You!

Thank you, thank you for your comments on my last post. (If you haven't yet commented, please do . . . I need your wisdom.) You gave good and thoughtful advice over which I have been mulling. My husband and I have had a good long discussion that hasn't yet ended. (I'll be washing the dishes and he will walk into the kitchen and say, "You know, another thing to consider is________," or I'll send him an email that starts out "They do need __________, right?" Though there are long breaks in between sentences, the discussion hasn't ceased for many a day. We sat with our children and offered options, which they countered. We countered back and they offered another perspective. It is rewarding to have children who can have a good argument for the sake of a thorough study. I like them--which, I suppose, is the problem here.

And so the search for the perfect educational model for the Sanders Family of Right Now (because we change quickly) is still under remodel. I'm glad for the change. We haven't had a mix-up in a while. To respond to some comments:
  • No, I'm not burnt out, emotionally exhausted, post-partum or wearing tight pants. I am completely stable right now so it's a good time to make rational decisions.
  • I am for sure buying totes, tubs, baskets, or containers of some sort for each child so they have "their" stuff.
  • I like the idea of homeschool being my job--I am at work until 1pm, but am available to help others or do my own thing after that time.
  • The hard things about public school can be important for a child to experience to prove to themselves that they can handle those hard things. Being with mom all of the time is not always the most effective way to teach a child independence. **simpering sigh** I know this first hand, since I have never been one to be walked upon. Maybe public school gave me the thick skin I needed to be a homeschooling mother.
  • Public school offers bad influences, but they also have a bushel of great teachers and upright students.
  • Everyone who sends their children to school still has to teach more at home. Would it be a good use of time, energy, money and resources to go to school all day then do homework and then supplement? Add dance and scouts and piano lessons and there is no time for play and family. Or did I read you wrong?
  • To quote Brandi, "No decision in this case is irreversible." Okay. That relieves some pressure.
  • And, Urban Mom, THANK YOU for the validation. I often forget that by raising respectable, valuable, contributing people, I am serving.

I have so much to learn. Then, of course, I had no idea how to breast feed 11 years ago and now I could be the president of La Leche League. We all have opportunities to grow.

2 comments:

  1. On the good use of time, energy, money & resources... it seems sometimes that the demands of the teachers make me wonder what exactly the kids are doing at school. Sometimes I think that it would be easier to just get the work done when it's work time & then play when it's play time. The homework level is heavy enough that adding on scouts & piano & sports (& church callings) leaves less time for play & family. Too much homework just makes me feel like they're cutting into family time.

    And with breastfeeding, I was an insufficient producer (long story x3) but I learned many tips & tricks from all of my failures. In other words, I think that in struggling comes learning & growth. When you figure this all out, you will know better why you've made the choice & not be left wondering if you missed some aspect that would have swayed you the other way.

    This discussion has reminded me again that I need to practice serious supplementation in the spiritual department for my kids. With all the bad things that they are learning at school, I better do some serious extra-curricular activities to make them well-rounded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, me, tall, rounder...sisterAugust 28, 2009 at 3:46 PM

    I like you. When are you coming home?

    ReplyDelete