Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Likening Literature

In Les Miserables, Cosette is found living with the despicable Thenardiers. There, where the Thenardier children get anything they want because of Fantine's sacrifice, Cosette has nothing. When Jean Valjean first sees her, she is playing with a small sword. Yes, a sword. She is wrapping it with rags and talking to it as though it were a doll. It is pitiful and heartbreaking.
My daughter's bicycle tire had a hole and needed to be replaced. I removed the tube (which retained a small amount of air, enough to keep it basically round) and left it on the grass while I finished the job. After a few moments, I cued in to the pretend play of my three year old. She was petting and talking to the bike tube.

"Oh, Mr. Bike, you should not do that!"
What? I listened in more closely to make sure I hadn't misheard her.

"Mr. Bike, that tickles!!"

Mr. Bike??

Of course, her hair was appropriately scraggly and her clothes were a mess. She wore no shoes and all of a sudden I knew; there was my poor Cosette, playing with a worn out bicycle tube.

There is a castle on a cloud, I like to go there in my sleep,

Wah, wah, wah! Get back to work!

2 comments:

  1. Dolls & Bicycle Tires:Girls ::
    Guns & Sticks & Legos & ... :Boys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes! Dear Cosette. At least we know that your babe will end up a heroine of a great love story. :D

    ReplyDelete