Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Sister Had a Baby

My sister had a baby. Just a little while ago. My sister had a baby and I am 550 miles away. Sisters are supposed to be together at times like this. We are supposed to be there to touch his tiny toes and smell his still-damp head. We are supposed to be there to admire the dimple and gape in amazement that her baby weighed three pounds more than mine. But, mostly, we are supposed to be there to clean her toilet, make a casserole, arrange the flowers, wash the faces of her older children and listen to the nitty-gritty details of her labor and delivery that no one else wants to hear.


Sisters are supposed to be there, but I'm not.



Okay, I'll stop throwing my tantrum, now.



Isn't that boy lucky? Look at his beautiful mama. She is a good mother. Her children love her and want to tell her everything. They are a close and happy family. She is what every mother hopes to be. My nephew is a most adored surprise. I'm afraid he will be a touch spoiled by all of the people who love him, and that is not a few.




My dear sister-friend had a baby today. She has one in college and one on the breast. My heart is full to overflowing.

3 comments:

  1. The picture says it all. I wish I was there to hear all the nitty gritty details too. I love birth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Verily! Halleluja! I've been keeping an eye out for news. I totally wish you could be there too. You are a good sister to want it so badly. And you'll be his favorite aunt, I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Families were never meant by God to live so far apart. We love cars and airplanes but they have really CHANGED the way families live, and the distances they live from each other! Both of my sisters live thousands of miles away. One just had a baby, and the other is due in a few weeks! I feel your pain!!! I just want to hold those babies, kiss them, and love them!

    ReplyDelete