Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Newsy


Yesterday I woke up not wanting to have school. I really wanted to get started on the fifty-two Halloween costumes I am required to assemble each October. I did eleven loads of laundry (and you think I'm exaggerating), lots of scrubbing, sweeping and vacuuming then pulled out the sewing machine. I sketched the desired designs (and it looks so NOT Project Runway that my heart crumbled just a bit at my lack of talent) and scavenged fabric scraps from my material bins. The baby was ready for her nap and I was ready to get sewing. It was not to be. My daughter found some terrible fun rainbow yardage and decided she needed a purse. Being only eight, she still needs me pretty much right there to guide her. She is thrilled with her new bag--I still haven't started on the costumes.


Knowing we have busy Tuesday afternoon/evenings, I started New Orleans Red Beans and Rice early in the day. It is a wonderful recipe that works every time.


It burned out of water while we were at dance.


After reading with the children, I started a movie for myself to watch while I folded clothes. I finally crawled in bed exhausted, though with a clean house and the last load of laundry in the machine.


This morning I didn't feel like having school. Several months ago I printed a dozen black and white snapshots of our family. I wanted to hang the random sizes in random frames in our new family room. Today I got a large part of it done. It's coming together and is looking like a fun game/movie room.


My Costco card expires at the end of October and there are a few things that I love to buy from Costco. At about 1 o'clock, we were starving so I decided it would be a good time for that Costco trip. You can't beat the hot dog deal for my fleet. We had a great time at Costco. I love my children. They are loud. Really loud. They are naughty, sometimes really naughty. But they are so fun. We teased and laughed our way through the massive warehouse, eating samples and sliding on the slippery floors. We oohed and ahhed over Christmas stuff and concurred that they should allow us to get through Halloween, at least, before putting it all out. "They just skipped Thanksgiving!" one child lamented. We purchased the items on our list and added a bag of that amazing black licorice. Skipping and singing our way to the car, we unloaded and re-buckled.


Tomorrow, we will have school. The oldest two have become accustomed to the routine--as has their mother. I am caught up on laundry, dishes, projects and have finished the book I COULDN'T put down. It has been a good mini-vacation.


Also, I had a dream that I was eating dinner with The Pioneer Woman and she wouldn't talk to me. She kept answering my questions with the shortest possible reply they looking away. I started to have my feelings hurt and kind of touched my nose with the back of my hand. I had a huge booger on the end of my nose and NO ONE told me about it. People: when I spell something wrong or have any other gross error in my posts, Please tell me! I have nightmares!


A big ol' basement spider crawled down my neck today while I was talking to my sister on the phone. I squealed and threw the phone. Spiders do not freak me out, but having one crawling on my neck did.


I just wrote an entire post and had nothing real to say. But, off to bed. School tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. loved this post

    I love seeing into the real life of you- especially the days when you don't want to do school- cause if you didn't have those days- then- you wouldn't be normal...and I would stop reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister Mothership,

    I love you because you are real. It is amazing to me that you get so much done. Keep it up - you will be so happy with the long-term results.

    Love,
    Your second cousin

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh emily
    i love reading about your daily adventures and funny stories. you make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those kind of posts are so theraputic for me to write. I love reading yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mollie had a baby and her head popped off...October 29, 2009 at 1:01 PM

    You left out the most important detail...what was the book you couldn't put down?!

    You're coming to see me...in days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fablehaven III--it is a great series. Can't start IV until I finish The Scarlett Letter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know...Mollie, againOctober 29, 2009 at 8:13 PM

    Can I make two comments? So RE: your title of this entry...is it wrong that I was hoping for a picture of a youthful Christian Bale in a paper boy cap? ooo so dreamy...(:

    I read all 4...I win, and I know what happens...

    days...days away, until I get to smooch on all your kids, and have them tell me I'm not their one true love!

    ReplyDelete