Monday, October 5, 2009

United Nations Sponsored by Walmart

As I was eating this treat the other day, I began absentmindedly reading the ingredients on the back of the package.The papaya and pineapple are from Thailand, the golden raisins are from the USA, Argentina and Chile, the bananas are from the Philippines, the cashews are from India and Africa, the apricots are from Turkey, cranberries from USA and Canada, and macadamia nuts are from Costa Rica, Brazil and Australia. I had the United Nations in my mouth, for $1.43.


It made me wonder two things: 1. How could Sam's Choice make such an inexpensive product when it had to pay shipping on all of those goods? and 2. How would my life be different if I could only eat locally grown foods?

Apocalyptically speaking, I think one the first things to go would be transportation. Transportation is why we have the food we have. In my part of the country, it is why I have bananas, blueberries and wheat. You may have those things, but lack apples, asparagus, and cherries. When I look in my pantry, I realize that there is a lot I would have to live without. Peanut butter! Peanuts do not grow in zone 4! We do have sugar beets, though, so we would have treats--treats without chocolate chips. We would have potatoes three meals a day. Tomatoes, squash and beans grow well here, but not oranges. I certainly wouldn't be having papaya from Thailand and cashews from India.

If you had to eat locally, what would you miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment