Monday, November 16, 2009

Cassettes



I am on tape eight of twelve. Over the past few years, I have purchased several super cheap cassette players so I could listen to books on tape. Our library is converting over to CD, but they still have tons of books on cassette only. Also, I own several on tape. Last year I bought a cassette player like they have in schools and libraries. It was fairly expensive and I thought, based on it's hardy look, This one will last!




Nope. It is eating tapes.




My only tape player is in the van and I just don't drive that much in my small town.




I feel stranded in the middle of this book. If I sit down to fold clothes, I can't help thinking, I should be listening right now! There are yards and yards on chiffon waiting to be made into angel costumes for the Christmas dance recital. I can't sew in peace knowing I could be finding out what will happen next! I'm telling you, my soul is suffering under a terrible torment.




There are specific instructions given regarding my mother's death that relates to this topic of being stopped in the middle of a book. We don't know exactly what happens on the other side, so, just to be safe, my sister and I promised we would sit in such a way that Mom's angelic self could peer over our shoulder. We are to then slowly turn the pages in order for her to finish whichever book she died while reading.


This isn't quite the same, but the pain caused by suspense is just as real. Does anyone own a cassette player that I could borrow for the next couple of weeks. It may be as serious as life and death--or at least sanity and it's antithesis.

3 comments:

  1. go to a thrift store- they are a $1 and will probably last as long as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Emily,
    I shall bring you one today at approximately 10:45 a.m.
    No promises as to whether it works or not, but it's worth a try, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. (Really, I am!) Love the image of Alicia putting heaven on hold, hovering between this world and the next, just long enough to finish her book.

    ReplyDelete