Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Bench

I needed more efficient seating around the kitchen table. Now that the baby is sitting at the table for dinner, there are seven for a regular meal--not to mention those times when friends stay for dinner or we invite company. I found this antique bench online and wanted to mimic it. It is something like 150 years old and used to be in a school house. It was on the East Coast, like all good American antiques, and I'm not.


I made this this morning.



Pretty close, I think. The kids all helped distress it (and will surely continue to do so). It will need paint and a coat of pod-tough polyurethane. But, it seats six children or four adults.

Hurrah for necessity!

1 comment:

  1. So I just read this and said "Mike, your daughter is amazing."

    ReplyDelete