Friday, December 11, 2009

My Name is Tale of Two Cities

In the book Fehrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, it is illegal to read books. Fireman, instead of putting out fires, burn books. At one point in the story, we are introduced to a group of underground book-savers. The way they save books is by memorizing them. They refer to people as "Leviticus Five" and "Hamlet." It made me wonder: What book would I like to be?

There is a list. It's kind of like asking for a favorite Christmas carol or scripture passage or child--the answer changes depending on my mood, my station in life and whether my pants are too tight.


In no particular order:

  • Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I especially love the golden thread that the woman uses to tie everyone together. It is a lovely analogy of a gift women have. We are, generally speaking, good at knitting hearts together with love.

  • The Books of Genesis and Mosiah.

  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. It is chock-full of wisdom and goodness.

  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy by JRR Tolkien. Just a dang good story with every essential element: devotion, honor, horror, battles, suspense, bravery, fear, good, evil, greed, selflessness, humor, pain, hope . . .

  • Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery. She makes me happy.

  • Little Britches by Ralph Moody. He shows how much joy can be found in life--even if you are poor and have to work hard.

  • The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. You won't believe her faith and courage. Have you read this book? YOU MUST.

  • Something by Jane Austen and something by Mark Twain.

Obviously, there are others that are greatly loved, but, today, right now, this is my top list. I think.

If you weren't (fill in your first name), what book would you be?

No comments:

Post a Comment