Tuesday, December 8, 2009

To the Ad Wizards at Walmart


You need to re-think the store-wide white packaging into which you've forced all of your generic items. When they first started showing up on the shelves, I thought it looked both fresh and vintage. Now that the white labels are slathered all over the store, however, it just looks cheap and, forgive me, like it came from Walmart (a fact that no one wants to admit).


I buy generic because I gots me no money, but only if it is of the same quality as the name brand. There are some products which simply can't compare to the name brand (macaroni and cheese and toilet paper) and some where the generic is actually better than the name brand (stuffing and soda). However, I don't want to feel like I'm buying generic. I want to be tricked into thinking I am getting a product just as fancy as it's more expensive sister. I want to look at the package and think, "Wow, what a great bargain I just found," instead of "Wow, my entire cabinet is filled with knock-offs!"


Sure, you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I know some people who put the jacket of another book on the book they are reading because they don't want people to judge them by the cover of their book.



Do you need to read that again?


No one wants to look poor. Thrifty, yes, but not poor. Everyone wants to look like they can afford Ralph Lauren while secretly wearing Lee. Why do you think those "Rolex" watches and "Gucci" handbags sell so well?



So, Walmart, flatter our pride and get rid of the I AM TOO POOR TO BUY NAME BRAND labels. Give me the I AM A THRIFTY BARGAIN HUNTER label instead.



Love,

The Girl Who Hates to Shop at Walmart but Can't Afford To Not

6 comments:

  1. i love wallmart it is way better then lowes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya!
    I always feel like I am buying some fake item, or a government issued product.
    wish I had the money to buy all the shiny name brand products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. I thought the exact same thing when I saw those labels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first saw the new labels, I had all the same thoughts. (Okay, maybe not ALL of them...?) And then I thought, "That is brilliant." Of course it comes in the wake of a recession, so more people are actually LOOKING for the cheapest brand to buy, and wow do those white labels jump right out at you screaming, "I'm the cheapest! You can afford me!" So, while I agree wholeheartedly with your feelings on the matter, I'm betting Wal-Mart has seen those Great Value profits go up, up, and up. (So why does the label have to make the food TASTE so much cheaper?...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    My friend just recently sent me a link to your blog and I have to say how great it is. You are a really funny, down-to-earth person. Some of your posts, including this one, have literally made me laugh out loud. I also really appreciate all of the tips and ideas you freely give about teaching and helping your children. I do not homeschool my kids, but I have found many of your tactics very useful. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I despise my local Walmart with a passion that is deep. We live in the land of super Walmarts & it is huge with amazingly long lines & boxes in the aisles. I try to do what I can to avoid it.

    One of the tips is to buy stuff at the regular store when it is B1G1F & stock up. It won't work for everything, but our local Publix ("the expensive store") has the very best sales.

    ReplyDelete