Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What I Do All Day

We wanted to go ice skating this afternoon. Ice is located outside--in all it's glorious wintertime. In order for everyone to wear two pairs of socks, I had to locate 26 socks. Having a bit of experience with children in cold weather, I know that it all comes down to warm fingers. I had to find 6 pair of stretchy gloves to go under 6 pair of ski gloves. Everyone needed to use the bathroom before pulling on the snow pants and boots. Once hats were on and coats were zipped, I sent them to get buckled in the car seats while I quickly got myself ready. When I finally got out the door, I found that the four year old had decided to play in the snow in her socks. I ran back inside to get another two pair of dry socks.

It took 45 minutes.


Once at the rink, we had to jerk and pull and coax ten sock-thick feet into the old, leather, rented skates. I, of course, was last on the ice. The baby was already done before I got out there.


Dad swooped in and saved the day. He took the one year old and the four year old home. The rest of us had a really fun time until we were tired and blistered. We enjoyed each other on the ice and on the walk home.


When we came home, I said, "Put all boots, gloves, hats, coats, and snow pants (I have to specify all of them or they will claim I didn't tell them to do it) away in the mudroom. When I say away, I mean on the hooks and in the baskets. Then, and only then, get ready for dinner."


I just thought I'd show you what my children think are hooks and baskets.


What do stay-at-home moms do all day, anyway?!

3 comments:

  1. You're a mom. It's your job to be ignored.

    Last week I called a family meeting that lasted ten seconds. In this meeting I told everyone that flushing the downstairs toilet is something they CAN do. Various users flushed for about two days. Love being the "did you flush" inspector!

    You're brave to skate. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand completely. I really, really do. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot, Emily. I'm going to have nightmares for a week.

    ReplyDelete