Thursday, February 25, 2010

Progress

I am so tired. I've been working on my kitchen for more than a week. We replaced the counter and sink when we moved in over four years ago, but we've never tackled the rest of the huge problem that is the kitchen. I've been stripping hardware with a chemical that is so toxic, my skin starts to burn through the gloves after fifteen minutes. My hands are surviving on too few layers of epidermis. It is an all-consuming project, all the stripping and sanding and new layers of primer, paint and sealer. My children have been patient and my husband appreciative and kind. This picture shows just some of the process. The freezing weather has hampered my efforts a bit. I can only sand one or two cabinet doors at a time before my hands are frozen and I have to come in and do an inside part of the project for a while. I even had paint freeze on me at one point. But, it's slowly coming together. Here is a peek of the completed portion.

I bought some red ticking that I'll be using for new window treatments and sink skirt. I am working on organizational ideas that will help contain my stacking habits (something like this)and still need to find a solution for my lighting problems.


But I am so tired. If any of you out there are considering a kitchen remodel, make sure you are ready. It's a big job. It will be worth it, I'm sure.

3 comments:

  1. Good Job Emily! Now you have another thing that you can look at and say, "I DID THAT!" (You know that feels so good)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wonder woman! I admire so much your "do it yourself" gusto. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your hard work looks like it is paying off! You are amazing - really.

    ReplyDelete