(Notice the big paint drip that has been painted over several times. This is not a unique feature of my kitchen cabinets, unfortunately.)
Since we moved into this old house, I knew I would eventually have to do something with the kitchen cabinets. They are original to the house (1907) and I love that they have stuck it out through all of the owners and renters that
ruined changed so many other things in this place. The most pressing problem is that the last coat of paint was latex and was painted over oil based paint. Thus, every time I washed the cabinet doors, some paint would come off as well. The second major problem was that there are about twenty-seven layers of paint on the doors and drawers and hardware. This makes the stick terribly and look ugly.
While I was working on the kitchen, anyway, I decided to paint the walls. The last paint job the kitchen received was done, I'm sure, to get the house sold. It was a pale yellow which always looked dirty, with white trim which was poorly done. Paint was on sale last weekend, so I decided it was time to spruce things up in there.
The walls are done; that was the easy part. I've begun working on the cabinets. The hardware must all be removed and stripped of paint. Step two is sanding down to the last layer of enamel. Then Kilz primer over the whole thing to ensure the new paint will not wash off. Paint the new color and add the antiquing glaze that I'm hoping will be a nod to the age of the cabinets. Finish with a coat of polyurethane and re-hang. Whew!
I'll post the pictures as I go. Wish me luck. It's gonna be messy.