Friday, March 19, 2010

The UPS Man

http://www.flickr.com/photos/picgerl/

Growing up with a catalog-loving mother, the sound of the UPS truck was an exciting event. It was in the days before online tracking and since my mother didn't tell us the details of every phone order she placed (the gall!), the sound of those squeaky brakes sliding to a halt on our gravel road was always unexpected. We would race to the front to watch the man in brown shorts run up to our door. Even the dog would begin her panicked bark. "MOM!! The UPS man is here!!" all four of us would yell, as if her getting there at that moment was vital to our life's continuance. She would graciously sign the slip then walk away, package in her arms, singing, "Christmas is coming!" or "I can't tell you!" Days, sometimes weeks, would pass as we dreamed about what amazing thing could be hidden within the corrugated paper walls of the box in Mom's closet.

Even now, as a grown up with online tracking and knowledge of orders placed, I get excited when the UPS truck jerks to a stop in front of our house. Is he coming here? I wonder, and when he jogs up my sidewalk, I clap my hands and run to the door.



Except for today.



Today, the UPS man brought this:


It is a pump for my still broken dish washer. I don't know what the hell to do with it.



And I don't want to learn.



I'm mad at that doggone UPS man.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to play Pollyanna's "Glad Game." Here. I'll start:
    -You can be glad the UPS man delivered it to your house instead of having to take all of your children searching for a part you hope Lowe's has in stock.
    -You don't have to buy a new dishwasher-yet..
    -You will figure it out eventually and don't have to rely on Justin to try to figure it out, or to pay a repair man.
    -Your children are TOTALLY going to learn how to wash dishes by hand.

    Your turn.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin's got the idea...but I'm with you. When the UPS guy comes, it should ONLY be fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago I worked at Baskin Robbins ice cream shop in Port Angeles, Washington. One afternoon the UPS guy drove up to deliver some stuff to the store. As he walked in, without thinking I yelled to the owner "Bill, the PMS man is here"! Poor guy turned about every shade of red possible and I was left looking pretty foolish. I meant to say UPS, it just slipped out the other way.

    ReplyDelete