Friday, April 30, 2010

Give Me One


Many years ago, I went to a conference where the speaker related the following story:

One day, her high school aged daughter came home from school telling about how one of her best friends said something super insulting. The mother bear quickly jumped out. How could her daughter's "friend" say something so mean? She wanted to know what her daughter was going to do, how she was going to punish the friend for her thoughtless comment. The daughter was not upset. "Oh, you know, Mom. She's not usually like that. I'll give her one."

It has stuck with me all these years because we all say and do stupid things, now and then. Some of us (ME) do and stay stupid things often and I'm always hoping that people will give me one. In other words, if you know that a person isn't mean spirited or intentionally hurtful, forgive them. Figure that they are having a bad day, that they don't realize what they are saying, or that they simply had a slip of tongue. (Joette, I still feel bad about my major slip of tongue in the hall of our high school that one day!) We could be hurt or mad and fume or cry for days on end; or we could be understanding and let it roll off our backs.

A recent post apparently "shocked" at least two of my readers. I am sorry about those feelings. One of my personal traits is to torture myself over and over about the possibility of hurting someone. The purpose of this blog is NOT to hurt feelings.

I have the pulpit, here, and I am sorely tempted to call you repentance, like you tried to do for me (you said it was "enlighten" me, but really, you wanted me to repent). Since you already compared me to being one those in the great and spacious building and accused me of being gluttonous, a covenant breaker, an instigator of negativity, having behavior unbecoming a daughter of God, mocking, disappointing, and hypocritical, I am determined to prove you wrong. Your comments, which were three times as long as my original post, drew many false conclusions about the post and myself.

If you continue reading my blog, you will find that I am frank about being imperfect. I've posted pictures of my massive laundry pile, my children get cavities, my cabinets are full of high fructose corn syrup, some of the media I view has stronger language than Veggie Tales, I've read books that take the Lord's name in vain, and I can't catch a ball.

Please, give me one (and I'll do likewise).

8 comments:

  1. I guess I can only give you "one" as many times as you are constantly giving me "one." Much love to your imperfect self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously? oh please get over it (: your one was given so long ago.

    I love you. I was just telling my 14 year old niece who is going into high school next year and being worried about making friends I said that she needs to start praying for her "Emily" (: (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, man! I missed the post that all of this went down. I had to go back and find what you were talking about. Then I laughed my head off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm behind on my blog reading, so I had to go back to find the post that brought that poor pitiful soul out from behind her tin-foil covered windows. Yowza. For the record, I read that post and was right there with ya the whole time! I love your blog, the honesty and humor and ability to admit the flaws that we all worry are just our own. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo glad to know I'm not the only one who can't catch a ball! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you need one......I need one-thousand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog. I went back and read the post, the comments, the rebuttal, and so on. Seriously? I am sorry that this happened! (Did I mention that I love your blog?!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are fabulous and I love your guts!

    ReplyDelete