Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Look Back

I'm having a very hard time not wishing time away.

Our Family (minus Dad, who's holding the camera) six weeks before classes started.

Five years ago, we made the decision for my husband to go to college. He had done some work at a technical college, but had no credits from an actual university. To start at the very beginning and end with a Doctor of Pharmacy will take a total of six and a half years.

Here, at the last week of the semester, four and a half years into this gig, I find myself looking back.


The First, then and now.

The Second, then and now.















The Third, then and now.


The Fourth, then and now.


The Fifth, then and now.


We made the decision to put ourselves into self-imposed poverty to do this thing and our time here has felt temporary from the beginning.

But six years is not temporary in the life of a child; it is a good portion (if not all) of their total existence. I have made a concerted effort to make sure the family feels grounded, but I know that this is not forever. I try not to wish the time away, knowing we will always look back on our college days with a great deal of fondness, but I am ready to be done with this!

I think I need to go write in my gratitude journal now.

4 comments:

  1. such a huge undertaking, and you seem to be getting through it with grace, patience, and lots of humor...so congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to tell you how much I SO admire you guys! I think of your family often and with fondness. It's very brave to move so far from your families to do something VERY difficult. (How many applicants do they have to the pharm program every year?!) But you know that it will all be worth it. Your kids will thank you for the sacrifice. Well done, Sanders. (But I would totally wish time were up, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'm just a sour puss, but my life would be very different if you didn't come here. I love you and I cherish every day you are here. Still, that being said, I wish you were closer to your family. I hope it passes quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are amazing. Seriously, such a great example of living with 'the bigger picture' in mind. Thank you for that! I love the first picture of you with the 4 little ones - priceless. Can't wait to see you guys in August :)

    ReplyDelete