Monday, April 26, 2010

PolitiFact


I want to be politically astute and globally aware. I listen to the BBC News Service, NPR (often left), and talk radio (always right). I read the news from a range of sources on the internet and from our local paper. As I gather all of this information, I then try to use my intellect and values to establish an opinion. Since I am a very busy woman, however, I can't possibly do all the research necessary to discover whether talking points or sound bites are TRUE.

Enter the Truth-O-Meter.

They rate statements made by politicians, lobbyists, pundits, and media at the extremes of True to Pants on Fire False. (To see how they come up with their ratings, check here.)



They leave room in the middle of totally true and totally false (which, truth be told, is most of politics) and then they tell you WHY the rating was given.


PolitiFact is a project of the St. Petersburg Times to help you find the truth in American politics. Reporters and editors from the Times fact-check statements by members of Congress, the White House, lobbyists and interest groups and rate them on our Truth-O-Meter. We’re also tracking more than 500 of Barack Obama’s campaign promises and are rating their progress on our new Obameter.

This is a great website that seems to be non-partisan. I just thought you might want to be aware of this resource as well.


Adieu.


The MotherShip

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reference. Politics make me squirm - if it comes up in dinner conversation, I would rather wash dishes, change a dirty diaper, or take out the trash. I feel like I just never know enough to make a reasonable statement. I guess I am an ostrich with my head in the sand.

    ReplyDelete