Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Barter



Here's the deal:

My son has taken dance for 3 1/2 years. He is now eleven and a pretty fair dancer (he's a great performer, a fair dancer--you can teach dance, it's a lot tougher to teach stage presence). His dance teacher is closing her doors which means we need to find a new place. Last weekend, I took him to Swan Lake, a production by our local ballet academy. The leads were played by professional dancers. It was the first time he had seen a live male dancer. (I know it's lame, but You Tube is affordable.) As we walked home, I asked him if he wanted to dance like the men he saw that night. He gave an emphatic, "YES!"

Now, we're not talking about a five or six year old who thinks it's fun to be in the spotlight. He has a taste of how much work goes into a dance, he knows that ballet is his favorite form of dance and he is old enough to learn.

This particular ballet academy is Expensive, with a capital E. It's not unreasonable for what you get, but it's not anywhere near what our current super-below-poverty-line income will allow.

When I was trying to research said academy, I could not find it on the web. It's address and phone number were listed on Super Pages and the like, but no web page. There was no page to describe the caliber of talent running the studio, no page to highlight students receiving scholarships or awards, no page with a list of classes offered, tuition required or dress code accepted. There was no page to detail upcoming summer programs, advertise or sell tickets to big shows.

Would I be completely nuts to offer a trade of dance classes for a well maintained web page?


That I don't know how to build?


Is it worth my hours of work to get this for my boy?


Could I even build a web page?


Please advise.

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Friend: I'm going to tell you what my spouse always tells me. What is the worst that can happen? They tell you no? I know you are fully capable of learning to put together a website. I think it is likely that a website of worth is worth that dance academy. I don't think you should overlook any opportunity to get him in there if he is looking to that. I love you and I have the utmost faith in your capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! I have no doubt that you could learn easily enough how to do it. I want you to come here and give a tutorial on sprucing up my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Grand Master (we'll be related someday) Sanders-Fox plan is coming together!!!

    Let's see here:

    Isaac wants to be a REAL Ballet Dancer.

    Bethany wants to be a REAL Ballet Dancer.

    Mmmmmmmm.....very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are programs that are designed to help you build a website, I am sure you could probably find tutorials or the like/close to it that will be helpful as well. You might be able to find a used book that wouldn't cost you very much to help you build the website as well. I think you should totally try it.

    ReplyDelete