Monday, May 31, 2010

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb



Over a year ago, I wired a light into the garage. It was a simple bare bulb, but I wired it to a switch at the door so one wouldn't have to traipse clear into the darkness before pulling the string. It was part of a much larger wiring event so when I flipped the switch and it didn't turn on, I was too exhausted with the project to investigate. We did try a couple of different bulbs with no success and I knew that it was likely something simple like a solitary connection that barely slipped out of the nut. I had no motivation to turn off all of the power, haul out the ladder and spend the time to fix it.

So, I didn't. For fourteen months.

For fourteen months, we searched around in a dark garage (that was dim even in daylight) with flashlights, tripping over bikes and coolers; each time I was wishing I had taken the time to fix the light before it was ten o'clock at night and a search party was required to locate whatever item was needed.

Tonight, my daughter ran inside saying, "I just fixed the light in the garage!"

"That's impossible," I said to my husband. She seemed sure, though, so we followed her out.

True to her word, she had fixed the light. "Honey, how did you DO that," I exclaimed, dumbfounded.


"I pulled the string."

Oh, how I wish I were only kidding.

3 comments:

  1. No Way.....14 months and nobody had ever tried that.....HILARIOUS!!!

    Have you heard the joke about "How many months does it take to turn on a light bulb?"......well now we know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! Was there a hallelujah chorus in the background? Reminded me of a scene from Christmas Vacation...

    ReplyDelete