Sunday, June 6, 2010

Barter Accepted!

The ballet school has accepted my offer to exchange a web site for dance lessons!

(Another Idea)

We are both excited and a little nervous.

There is this great scene in Seabiscuit that relates a bit to how I am feeling. The character played by Jeff Bridges (Charles Howard) moves to California and opens a bicycle repair shop. No one comes for what seems like days. He has on his best suit and his display window is spit shined. He waits anxiously, but still no one comes. Eventually an automobile, puffing and smoking something awful rolls up to his door. As cars were still a fairly new invention and rather a rare thing for the common man, there were no repair garages; this guy brings his broken car to the bike shop as the closest alternative. He asks if Howard can fix it. Desperate for some business, he exclaims something like, "Sure I can!"

The next scene opens to show Howard surrounded by the parts of the car, taken apart and surrounding him on the floor of his bicycle shop. You get a pit in your stomach for him because you know there is no way he's going to be able to put the dang thing together again. He rubs his forehead in a What have I gotten myself into kind of way, and all of the audience thinks What has he gotten himself into?

But, he picks up one part and puts it together with another part. The next thing you know, he's not only fixed the car, but has improved it's performance.

I think I'm in that scene with the parts all over the floor. How in the world is a bicycle repairman (blogger) going to fix this automobile (build a web site)?


I don't know for sure, but I think this part--hurmph--goes with this part--heeeft. I think I can, I think I can . . .

6 comments:

  1. You CAN do it Emily. Which template did they choose?

    There is so much to learn...but imagine all the opportunities that may arise for doing so.

    You may eventually get to the point where you will drive around town and look at a business and sa, "I want a bike from them" or "I want food from them" and just build a website for trade...who knows?

    keep us updated. My brother Keith designs websites for several people and a first it took HOURS in front of the computer by himself into the wee hours of the night...but he figured it out and now it is second nature to him- so you will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fabulous news. Good for you and good luck! I think designing web sites will beat the heck out of early morning cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS and Good Luck in your new Venture!! I know you'll do a great job for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Aren't you so glad you got the guts up to ask?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great news! Way to go!

    We sure miss those kids already!

    The Papa

    ReplyDelete