Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cooking Blahs

I need your help. I am bored, bored, bored with my recipe repertoire. Everyone knows that if you're bored, you're boring and that is a great fear of mine; I never want to be boring.


A big part of my blahs toward cooking is, I'm sure, due to the weather. We just had the coldest May on record and I only pulled out the kids' summer clothes this week because it is nearly the middle of JUNE and I felt obligated. By June, I'm usually no longer cooking the heavy, hearty meals of cold weather (stew, roast, breads, and so forth), but have moved on to the lighter summer fare (grilled meats, cold salads, sandwiches). Here we are on June 12th, the mercury sits at 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the furnace is pumping warm air onto my stocking feet and I've been cooking the same meals since the end of September--nine months. Blah.


We are a basic meat and potatoes family who are on a tight budget. I like recipes for meals that include "normal" pantry items. I do not have kudzu, loquat, or boletes (yes, I did google "unusual ingredients" for ideas). I do have basil, onions, Worcestershire Sauce, and black beans.

What are you making for dinner? Give me some links to good recipes. The health and welfare of my family is at stake.

Thank you,

The MotherShip

4 comments:

  1. Well...I can't really help. So I don't know why I am commenting.

    Mexican is pretty cheap. I guess we are a mexican family...3 nights a week it is mexican- tacos, tortilla soup, salad, bean burritos, fajitas, nachos, guac, chips, salsa, quesadillas, cheese- you know all the stuff that is pretty cheap at costco. Plus sort of healthy too...and very fast to make.

    I'm sure you will figure it out. Here is my sister n law's cooking blog- the ingredients are very basic for the most part. They are from Burley...so meat and potato type meals.


    http://letsgatherinthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    I haven't figured out dinner yet in my life. I try. And sometimes it turns out good- but I'm just happy if we have 2-3 vegetables to choose from and some sort of whole grain. We just throw ranch, salsa, guacamole, or hummus on everything and call it good- maybe some chicken or whatever- it does not bother me if my girls don't eat meat. I'd rather they didn't. So we are a "throw-it-together" family.

    Chay makes a killer shake with the mormon hot chocolate...

    Let the kids make the menu plan...then if they aren't happy it's their fault. :)

    Kids love pancakes for dinner.- I have a whole wheat berry blender pancake that is to die for.- on the blog I gave you.

    Good luck. Knowing you, I'm sure you'll survive just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like crockpot chicken alfredo.

    1-2 # chicken breasts/tenders
    1 pkt Italian dressing
    1/4 cup water
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese

    Place chicken, dressing, water, & soup in crock pot all day. Add cream cheese one hour before serving. (Optional: shred chicken with two forks.) Serve with pasta or rice & steamed frozen vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you have these among your boring menu items but we like :)

    Hawaiian Haystacks
    Pulled Pork Sandwiches
    Quesadillas & Chili
    Breakfast for Dinner

    None of them really require a 'recipe' so email me if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you seen the Food NannY? She is on BYU-TV - but she's fun & vibrant & has some great ideas.

    http://thefoodnanny.org/

    ReplyDelete