Thursday, September 16, 2010

Amazing Bean Stew

Nights are getting cooler and that distinctive crisp is in the air.  We can start cooking like people again, no more salad/ cold cereal/ cold-cut sandwiches dinners.  We are busy getting kids to their lessons/ games/ practices which means they are starving when you finally walk in the door at 6:45 pm.  If we can manage to get dinner cooking hours before so that you don't have dinner at bedtime, everyone is happier.


I have been making this recipe for years and years.  If you have a huge crock-pot, you could make it in there. I make it in my huge stock pot and just keep it warm until dinner-time.  (I wish I had a picture, but I always forget to take pictures of my food.)


Amazing Bean Stew

Mix in a large pot:
2 T Vinegar
2 T Yellow Mustard
1 C Brown Sugar
1 C White Sugar
1 1/2 C Ketchup
Add:
(All cans are 16 oz, drained)
2 cans Red Kidney Beans
1 can Buttered Beans
1 can Green Beans
1 can Garbonzo Beans
1 can Chili Beans with Sauce
2 cans Pork N' Beans

1 lb browned hamburger
1 lb chopped ham 
1 C Chopped Onion

Bring to slow boil then simmer until warm throughout and onions are tender.  I usually serve it with hot biscuits or cornbread.  Makes a BIG batch.  (It also freezes well if you wanted to freeze half for later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment