Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Is She Talking About Me?

You know that Sara Bareilles song King of Anything?  If you don't, here is her video.  

I completely love this song.  It is fun and sassy and is great music.  The first few times I heard it, I was like, "Yeah!  I know those people!  They are always forcing their ideas down my throat."

Here is my problem, now I feel guilty every time I hear it--like she's talking about me.

"Geez, Emily!  No one cares what you think.  Why do you keep writing/talking?"  I'm always afraid that I'm a bit of a know-it-all.  I don't try to be.  I try to just be interested in conversations and to contribute to those conversations in an interesting way.

But, I'm always afraid I am that guy in the song.  The one that bugs everyone.  The one at which, when people turn their faces away, they roll their eyes.

Is it all in the attitude?  What is the difference between saying something that you think might be mutually interesting and being a know-it-all?  

Thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. The fact that you just questioned yourself, means that you aren't a know it all! But, I love that song and think the same things when I hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog for a number of reasons:

    1) You talk about your own life but in a way that makes me think about my own.
    2) You do not post bunch of pictures of your children without a good reason for it - as in you are saying SOMETHING about them that is interesting
    3) Yes you know a lot of things! I love listening to intelligent people. You know these things from experience and trial and error, not because you think you know everything and are just spouting your own brillance.
    4) I love your outlook on life, I always know that pretty much every post you write is going to let me know a little more about really waht kind of person you are, and since I really like that person, its awesome! Do not quit! Wish I had as many interesting things to say, in such interesting ways.

    the highest compliment I can give is that I believe you are very much like my mother and yours. high praise indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gave me a good chuckle. No, you are NOT one of those people. I like people who are willing to put themselves out there and say what they think. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was HYSTERICALLY FUNNY to me, because didn't I just recently ask you this very question with as much earnestness as I could muster? Clearly we are on the same page darling. I think the difference between those people and you, is that when someone else shares an opinion that disagrees with you, your first reaction isn't to 'get them' or 'show them' or anything else. Your reaction isn't anger that they disagree with you. That's what sets you apart from that pushy person. Your true friends feel free to share their opinions without the fear of backlash. Speaking as someone whose opinions are often different from you, I think you are perfect just the way you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (friends feel free is great alliteration, btw.)

    ReplyDelete