Monday, September 20, 2010

Origami

We had our Young People's Book Club meeting today.  We read Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin.  It is a wonderful, gentle story.  I was also thrilled to find a good children's chapter book about China.  Anyway, I'm telling you this because you need to know that in addition to not being able to catch a ball, consistently spell correctly, and sit still for any length of time, I cannot do origami.  I can not!

I thought it would be a fun activity that we could learn.  The kids could take home their handiwork and even show off to their friends.  Wasn't it a great idea?  I googled "easy origami."  I tried the easiest, beginner stuff.  I failed.  Bad.

(Incidentally, "googled" has the squiggly red underline that means misspelled.  I use the Google Chrome browser.  Don't they know they are a verb?)

I showed the detailed instructions to the kids.  They were no better than I.

We played a game with wadded-up newspaper balls.  One of the kids took home a bag-full of newspaper balls so he could attack his older brothers (who probably deserve it!).

No one took home a delicate paper swan or star or frog.

And there you go.  One more useless fact you didn't need to know about me.

**********

More of my drivel on The MotherShip Home Schools . . .

1 comment:

  1. I hate doing origami. I have ZIPPO spatial reasoning ability, so trying to follow the directions makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete