Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Recipe from my Sis

This is my favorite sister in the world.  And my adorable nephew.


She is amazing in about Ninety Billion ways, but one of the things she does well is cook.  The other day I was looking for a recipe for shrimp.  She had posted this on her Facebook page so I stole it--the whole note.  I made it for my family tonight and had an amazing dinner that was done fast.  Easy, easy dinner.  Everyone in my household ate it; most had second helpings.  From Mollie's kitchen to yours:

**************

Ok, so I love to cook, but mostly I love to cook new recipes! I got tired of asking my family what they wanted for the menu and getting either blank I don't know's or burgers, lasagna, or chili dogs as ideas...so I quit asking. I make what I want and that's dinner...it's gone surprisingly well! All will eat it, and the agreement is it can't hurt my feelings if they don't love it...I've had very few failures! Well, except my one super picky eater 7 year old...who will literally eat about a tablespoon of food at dinner, but LOVES breakfast)

My favorite new recipe source is the Everyday Food magazine put out by Martha Stewart...

I made this one tonight, it was GREAT!
Spaghetti with Shrimp and Bacon
Prep: 25 minutes
Total: 25 minutes

Ingredients
Serves 4 (plus my bird like eating 4 year old, and my I don't eat dinner 7 year old)

Coarse salt and ground pepper
12 ounces spaghetti (I used white, but prefer whole grain, but didn't have any...)
2 strips bacon, chopped (I had cheap bacon, super thin so I used 4 slices)
8 ounces large (I used 41-50 count Costco frozen, because they only have the tail on) peeled and deveined shrimp halved horizontally
6 scallions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions:

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot.
While pasta is cooking, fry bacon in a large skillet over medium until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
Add shrimp, scallions, and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until shrimp are almost opaque, about 1 minute. Add cup pasta water, and bring just to a boil. 

Add shrimp mixture and lemon juice to pasta. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Thin sauce with pasta water as needed. Serve sprinkled with bacon.

397 Calories
3.5 g Fat
25 g Protein
66 g Carb
3.5 g Fiber 


1 comment: