Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sleep

Three or four times today, I was instructed to get my family to bed at a regular time.  (Not by any person, but by a higher power, if you know what I mean.)  If I want to have a waist again, get the kids to bed so you can get up early enough to exercise without their help.  If you want a happy, orderly bedtime, make a regular bedtime--like an appointment.  If you want that quiet time to really be able to study scripture, get your family to bed!  If you don't want little feet in your lower back, put the children in their own beds and train their bodies to be tired before yours.  (I don't know if that is possible.)

Here's what happened.  When I had my first child, I was working from five p.m. to one or two a.m.  I was tired in the mornings, so I trained my baby to sleep until nine or ten.  By the time the second pod entered our lives, we were pretty set in our ways.  I kept saying to myself that when the first was in school, we would be forced into a routine bedtime because he, and then, they would have a bus to catch.

Enter home school.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.  They will never get up before seven.  Ever. Ever.

I do not want them up before seven.  Never.

We do better during some spaces in time and worse at others.  We are in a bad way right now.  I'm not sure what has happened, but it is 10:31 p.m. and my children are all awake.  All of them.  And I'm tired and grumpy and I don't want to be the mom any more today.  But, here they are.  All awake.

So I think I'm going to get them up at 7:30 tomorrow.  We are going to go to the skate park and the playground and we're going to ride bikes and play tag.  I am going to run them into the ground.  They will be tired by 8:30.  Then, maybe, I can get up early enough to have some Mom Time.

I'm going to need it, after a day like tomorrow.

Have you ever had to change your family's sleeping habits?  How did you do it?

*************

By the way, I'm still blogging about my K12 experiences over at The MotherShip Home Schools, if you're curious.

2 comments:

  1. A few years ago I started going walking with a few friends at 5:00 am, yes really at that time, and year round. I have to walk out the door before my body has a chance to tell me how tired I am.
    It was the hardest adjustment EVER when I started. But the same person above told me I needed to do it. So I get an hour of exercise and an hour of talking with friends, I have 30 minutes of quiet uninterrupted (most of the time) scripture study, and then I shower and get ready for the day. Then the piano begins practicing, breakfast served and we are doing school by 8:00 am. We can do quadruple the amount of school between 8 and 10, then we can do between 10 and 12----I don't know why, it is just so.
    It has changed our life, and we are exhausted by 7:00, and kids are in bed by 8:00. Hubby and I then have 2 hours of reading, or quiet, or whatever, but sometimes even I am asleep by 9:00. It doesn't always come off perfectly. Some years there are newborns, sometimes I am sick and pregnant, some nights we go to movies, sometimes a 4 year old is wandering into our room every 10 minutes for 2 hours----but for the most part, waking up early has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love personal revelation-because it is personal- Heavenly Father talking just to me- and what he says to me, doesn't have to apply to anyone else- because it was PERSONAL REVELATION.

    So go with your feelings and don't doubt it- even though the opposition can be overwhelming at times. I'm preaching to the choir here...

    I don't like my kids after 7 pm. Love them but I am done being a Mom also. So we start doing the "na-night duties" around 6:30. Right after dinner. I'm not a tyrant and force them to sleep but they need to be quiet- color, read, talk to each other- but they are not to leave the room until morning. They will goof off and do whatever for an hour or so and then they USUALLY fall asleep. I tell them plainly that after 7 is mommy and daddy time-

    On the mission we were taught to make the morning our most valuable personal time. Get up exercise, read scriptures, pray, shower- and then hit the day strong to serve others. Makes perfect sense.

    Sister Beck is awesome. Her talk at women's conference was amazing. She calls mothers "The Lioness at the Gate" love that talk- inspired me so much to put my home and family in order.

    anyway- I feel Heavenly Father will always inspire and tell us what specific needs our family needs. The tricky part is then "doing" and "obeying" and not allowing the outside voices to influence us differently.

    "GO TO BED or OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!" That always makes my girls laugh- and they haven't even seen Alice in Wonderland yet.

    ReplyDelete