Saturday, October 23, 2010

Loathe to Let Go

Though I am ready for fall (I am really hoping for a great stay-inside storm), it seems my children are hanging on to summer as long as possible.

They have slept outside for the past two nights--despite nighttime temperatures falling to the thirties.


I am kind of sad to see warm weather go, too, because that means my children are one summer older.  The clothes I packed away will not fit them ever again.  My time with them is flying.  There is nothing like a fire to get me reminiscing.  This is what I thought while the flames were dancing about.


For the first ten years of my marriage I was having babies and growing small children.  For the second ten, they will be becoming young adults.  For the third ten years of my marriage, they will begin leaving me.  Am I really already one third of the way through this?  My heart aches at the thought, while at the same time, I look forward to the new adventures.


This was last year and so much has changed already.

I am reminded of something Marjorie Hinkley once said to a group of young mothers.  
Don't wish away your days of caring for young children.  This is your great day.  Sometimes we get so caught up in the physical work and trivia that we forget the big picture.  We forget whose children they are.  When the house is filled with children, noise and teasing and laughter, you get the feeling this is forever.  Before you know it they will be gone.  When our second son went away to school at the age of seventeen, I said, "But Clark, I am not through with you.  I feel there is so much I will need to teach you."
"To late, Mother, too late."
Our children grow so quickly out of our reach.
~Pearce, Virginia H.  Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinkley, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1999. Emphasis added.
So, you want to have a fire and sleep outside in late October?  Yes!  Let's!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this post made me feel bad about my attitude today. Wise woman, that Marjorie Hinckley.

    ReplyDelete