Friday, October 29, 2010

The Three Days of Halloween

We finally got the pumpkins carved.  The designers are sitting in line with their creations.

I had a recent scolding by Pioneer Woman for forcing my opinions on my readers by sharing too many views.  To quote, "Generally speaking, I don’t take advantage of the people who read my site by making them a captive audience for my various agendas or social causes."

Well, I'm sorry PW and my dear readers, I'm going to take a stand again today.  You don't have to read it, but if you choose not to, please come back tomorrow because I like you.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye!  I would like to campaign against Halloween ever falling on a Sunday. . . ever again.

It is wreaking havoc on my family life. 

We are being required to dress-up, make-up and sugar-up these precious small goblins for three stinking days.  (Can you name that movie?)  Friday is a regular business day so our downtown trick-or-treat the businesses happened this afternoon.  I refused to participate, but since it was The First Day of Halloween, my children were beside themselves because I wouldn't go.  Also, the public schooled children walk past our house on the way home from the bus; they were all dressed up.  I definitely should have chosen a Wicked Witch of the West costume.  It would have made sense to my neglected and abused pods.

On the Second Day of Halloween, a Saturday this year, most of the community events occur.  The church socials, the haunted village opens it's doors to the children in daylight hours so they aren't scared, and the nursing homes asks the princesses and spidermen to come trick-or-treat the grandmas and grandpas.

The Third Day of Halloween is on Sunday this year.  We are going to attempt to bring our sugar-hyped children to church from 1:30-4:30 in the afternoon--this is after they have had sugar from breakfast and lunch.  Then, we will dress them up again and go trick or treat the neighbors (because it is WAY more fun than going trunk to trunk--no offense to every church in the United States, but that is a LAME replacement tradition).

So, I would like to campaign to skip Sunday Halloween for the rest of forever.  Maybe on Sunday Halloween years we could just add another day to February and have a thirty day October.  

If you'll excuse me, I have some letters to write.

2 comments:

  1. Hear! Hear! I think Halloween should be moved to the 4th Saturday of October...forever!

    But, I'm just an old dog barking on the porch.

    ReplyDelete