Sunday, November 28, 2010

Advent: Beginning

Do you know my favorite thing about the snow?  I love how it never gets all the way dark.  Even in the middle of the night, the world is all tinted blue.  Random piece of important information.

Thanksgiving is over and that means it is officially the Christmas Season.  Wonderful, wonderful, twinkly time of year.  A couple of years ago, I posted about advent calendars and how I have never been satisfied with what I could find.  I made my own.  This year, I am going to share it with you, bit by bit.  I do get religious on here once in a while, though I try to keep my passionate preaching to a minimum.  I'll try to be gentle, but you should know (if you hesitate when you read spiritual things), this advent calendar is all about Jesus.

Nuts and bolts:  Every day has a thought or question, a verse or two and a song.  If you don't know the song, listen to it.  If you don't like that question, come up with your own.  Tweak this to fit your family's level of understanding and attention span.  Unfamiliar verses?  Find something else that fits.  Maybe you'll mix up the whole thing and write your own.  I would be delighted if you did.  Let me know how it goes.

December 1st
Why do we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ?

·Isaiah 9:2,6

2 The people that walked in adarkness have seen a great blight: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
6 For unto us a achild is bborn, unto us a cson is given: and the dgovernment shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, eCounsellor, The fmighty gGod, The heverlasting Father, The Prince of iPeace.

Song: Handel's Messiah; For Unto Us a Child is Born

December 2nd
Samuel the Lamanite foretold Christ's birth.


·Helaman 14:2-5

2 And behold, he said unto them: Behold, I give unto you a sign; for afive years more cometh, and behold, then cometh the Son of God to redeem all those who shall believe on his name.

  3 And behold, this will I give unto you for a asign at the time of his coming; for behold, there shall be great lights in heaven, insomuch that in the night before he cometh there shall be no darkness, insomuch that it shall appear unto man as if it was day.
  4 Therefore, there shall be one aday and a night and a day, as if it were one day and there were no night; and this shall be unto you for a sign; for ye shall know of the rising of the sun and also of its setting; therefore they shall know of a surety that there shall be two days and a night; nevertheless the night shall not be darkened; and it shall be the night before he is bborn.
  5 And behold, there shall a new astar arise, such an one as ye never have beheld; and this also shall be a sign unto you.


Song:  Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus

December 3rd
Discuss the significance of Light. (Relate to the prophesies of Isaiah and Samuel.)

·John 8:12

12 ¶ Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the alight of the world: he that followeth me shall not bwalk in cdarkness, but shall have the light of life.


·and D&C 6:21


21 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the aSon of God. I am the same that came unto mine bown, and mine own received me not. I am the clight which shineth in ddarkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not.


Song: Joy to the World


December 4th
Describe Mary.  (Define terms as needed.)


·Luke 1:28,30


28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among awomen.
30 And the angel said unto her, aFear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.


·and Nephi 11:13-15


13 And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of aNazareth I beheld a bvirgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.

14 And it came to pass that I saw the aheavens open; and an angel came down and stood before me; and he said unto me: Nephi, what beholdest thou?

15 And I said unto him: A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins.

·and Alma 7:10

10 And behold, he shall be aborn of Mary, at bJerusalem which is the cland of our forefathers, she being a dvirgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and econceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.


December 5th
Who was the angel who visited Mary?

·Luke 1:26-27
26 And in the sixth month the aangel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,

27 To a avirgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary.

·and Bible Dictionary Gabriel.

Man of God.The name of an angel sent to Daniel (Dan. 8: 16Dan. 9: 21): to Zacharias (Luke 1: 11-19); and to Mary (Luke 1: 26-38). He is identified by latter-day revelation as Noah (HC 3: 386).
Song:  Follow the Prophet, vs 3


*************
There are the first five days.  (I will keep posting them if you are interested.)  Just one idea that has helped our family keep the focus of Christmas on Christ--even amidst the shopping and the Santa's and the candy canes.

Advent: 6-10
Advent:  11-17
Advent:  18-24

8 comments:

  1. Yes, please keep them coming. I am looking forward to trying this with my kids. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I am still in the process of tweaking my advent so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please keep posting! I have been trying to find something just like this, and finally decided I would just have to make up my own! This will help! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!! I am sharing this with others... if that is okay with you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,
    My family is using your Advent this year and would love to be able to access it quickly. Would you mind if I pinned it?
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you may pin it. I think there are few installments. I'll get all of the links on this page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have one for today???

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol - I just realized I was only looking under your November posts. I found the one for today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete