Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Going to the Booth

I just voted.  I almost always vote, but I have never actually been to the voting booth.  The first time I was eligible to vote, I lived out of the country.  They mailed me my ballot.  Ever since, I have voted by absentee ballot.  I found it was easier with my house full of children.  This year, for whatever reason, my ballot did not come in the mail as usual.

Last year I was having a hard time getting into the Christmas Spirit.  I decided it was because I had done most of my shopping online and didn't go into the stores.  I missed the music, the lights, the automated dancing elves, the tinsel, the rubbing shoulders with so many shoppers who were in the middle of thinking about everyone  besides themselves, and the barrage of "Merry Christmas!" from the cheery clerks.

I was reminded of that today at my voting precinct office.  My neighbors manned the long table and I was greeted when I walked in, not with, "How may I help you, ma'am?" but "Hi, Emily!"  They handed me my ballot and gave clear instructions.  We joked about the weather and they ooohed at the little girl on my hip.  After I voted, they gave me a sticker I had never before received, despite having earned it.  It felt like community--and that, after all, is a big part of what voting is about.


I'll never request that absentee ballot again.  It felt too good to get that sticker.  And to be reminded that all of our one votes really add up.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't get my sticker but I did go to the booth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love going to vote, but I'm ashamed that I was not as well informed as I ought to have been this time around. I'm a little distracted from life, by life right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we miss going to the polls. Feels like our vote is much more...counted somehow.

    ReplyDelete