Friday, November 12, 2010

So Much To Do

Do you ever have so much to do that you just abandon everything?  This has been that week for me.  Yes, I have done the essentials and the can't-ignores, but I certainly haven't been touch-up painting, winterizing the outdoor faucets, calling all of the people I'm supposed to call and checking off more boxes on my Before We Sell To Do List.  Then, to add insult to injury, I've discovered a new show on Hulu:  Sweat Equity.

Since Sweat Equity is what I've been working on in my spare time for the past five years, this show intrigues me. It has been fun to see what I think we've done right and what we could have done if we had a billion more dollars--or any income, actually.  I have had a couple of reactions to watching other people improve their homes (with the help of designers, contractors and TV crews to stage the area which immediately puts them on a different playing field from the rest of us).

One, I have so many little things I need to do to finish this house.  Why are you sitting on your hind-end in front of the screen, Emily?

Two, who has that kind of money?  When I want to remodel a room, I think, "We could spend maybe $1000."  Who is saying, "Hmm, this room needs a face-lift.  How about 10 grand and we can go over a little bit if we need too."?  I understand if you need a whole new kitchen or are finishing a basement, but what are these people buying?  Do we need a tiered theater in the basement for our family of three--and a dog?  Why are we re-surfacing that beautiful aged brick fireplace with ceramic tile?  No wonder our country is having so many money related problems right now.  If you just put $15 thousand dollars into a new game room, you will not be able to sell your house at a price that matches today's market.  You have to get your investment back.  People do not know how to scale back and be creative.

I don't know.  I just had to get this out there.  These design shows are unrealistic to most of us.  I think that's why The Lettered Cottage and some of the other DIY blogs are so popular; they have normal houses, are real do-it-yourselfers, and have realistic budgets.  But what do I know?  I think I need to watch a couple of more episodes.

2 comments:

  1. I watch HGTV more often than I would like to admit. I see one of the problems is the unrealistic expectations for project-completion that get put in my head. There is a crew of workers off camera that are helping everything come to fruition. We just have our little family & sports & church callings & life to take care of. Buying stuff is the easy part - carrying out the project is rough!!! I am impressed with all of your great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. It's like what the airbrushed, photo shopped cover model does to our expectations of skinny bodies and clear skin. We have to take HGTV with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete