Thursday, December 9, 2010

Advent: 11-17

December 11th
What is a manger?  Why did Mary lay the baby in a manger?


Luke 2:7
7And she brought forth her afirstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the binns.
Song:  Away in a Manger


December 12th
What is the meaning of "Bethlehem?"  What is one name of Christ?


Bible Dictionary Bethlehem
Bethlehem. House of bread.
John 6:35
35And Jesus said unto them, I am the abread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never bthirst.
Song:  O Little Town of Bethlehem


December 13th
What is the meaning of the name "Jesus?"  Why would he be given that name?


Bible Dictionary Jesus
Jesus. The Greek form of the name Joshua or Jeshua, God is help or Savior.
2 Nephi 25:19
19For according to the words of the prophets, the aMessiah cometh in bsix hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem; and according to the words of the prophets, and also the word of the cangel of God, his dname shall be Jesus Christ, theeSon of God.
December 14th
Who did the angel tell of the birth of Jesus?


Luke 2:8

8And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

Song:  Angels We Have Heard on High


December 15th
Why was it symbolic that Christ's birth was announced to the Shepherds?


John 10:11, 14-16

11I am the good ashepherd: the good bshepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
14I am the good ashepherd, and bknow my csheep, and am known of mine.

15As the Father knoweth me, even so aknow I the Father: and I lay down my blife for the sheep.
16And aother bsheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be cone fold, and one shepherd.
Song:  Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd
December 16th
Who are the "other sheep?"  (John 10:16)


3 Nephi 15:21,24

21And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said:aOther sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one bshepherd.
24But behold, ye have both heard amy voice, and seen me; and ye are my sheep, and ye are numbered among those whom the Father hath bgiven me.

December 17th
The scene on the hill.


Luke 2:9-14 


 

9And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the aglory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring youagood tidings of great bjoy, which shall be to all people.
11For unto you is aborn this day in the city of David a bSaviour, which is Christ the cLord.
12And this shall be a asign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
14aGlory to God in the highest, and on earth bpeace, good will toward men.

Song:  Far, Far Way on Judea's Plains

No comments:

Post a Comment