Friday, December 17, 2010

To My Blog Stalkers


To all of you who so often include the phrase Blog Stalker in your comments:

This is a public blog.  While I spend a lot of time talking about my family, it is not a typical online scrapbook kind of blog.  I spend some time reviewing books, but this is not a literary review blog, nor is it a design blog or a cooking blog.  All of those things are a part of any mother's job description and, as the MotherShip, I blog about my job.

In the same breath, however, it is not a publicized journal.  I do not tell you everything that happens and you do not get a blow-by-blow account of the day's events.  You know a lot about me, but you don't know (at least from this source) my children's names or my location and I try not to reveal other information that could compromise my security.  (Yes, I know that if someone was really intent to find out that information about me, they certainly could; I want to make it a little harder, at the very least.)

There are pictures of my children for the grandparents and the aunts, but this blog was not intended to be just a watch them grow montage.  Even though we are far apart, if I relied on a blog to keep us connected, I would certainly be failing my children.  They would get nothing out of such a one-sided conversation.

I write a blog because I am interested in a conversation.  Because we home school and I do not work outside of the home, I have limited adult interaction.  I discovered that the blog was a way for me to connect with like-minded people the world over.  I put my thoughts, discoveries, and frustrations, as well as the funny or trying moments out on the web all in an attempt to see that I am not alone and to show others in the same boat that they are not alone.  We gain strength from each other and, even though I don't know you in real life, your comments strengthen me and help me grow.  If I have given you courage to try sewing without a pattern or making bread, well, that is a big bonus.

I am nearing 500 posts, over these two and a half years, and have come to understand myself better.  My semi-regular writing has helped me work out thoughts, struggle through problems and organize my mind.  If those ramblings help someone through a similar situation or even if it just gives someone something to smile about that day, I have achieved one of my blogging goals.

There is one other reason I blog:  to set an example.  My chosen method of home education is heavily influenced by the mentor.    If I want my children to read, I have to read.  If I want them to learn geography, I have to learn it.  If I want them to write, they have to see me writing.  This isn't exactly pen-on-paper writing, but I am still making use of grammar, am trying to improve the clarity of my written communications and have drastically improved my spelling (a bane to me my entire school career).

So, please don't excuse yourself for visiting my blog.  I want you here.  If you didn't come and didn't read and didn't comment, blogging would lose most of its appeal.

Welcome!  These are the Messages from the MotherShip.  Out of an ordinary life comes extraordinary moments.  Let's talk.

3 comments:

  1. I comment pretty frequently & love to read what you write. However, I feel like I always say the same thing! Em, you're hilarious! You are so smart. I love to read your blog. Rinse & repeat. I LOVE YOUR BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you summed up what your blog is. In fact, I think I'm going to borrow that line of thinking for my blog someday. (Is it possible to "borrow" a line of thinking?)
    Even though we've never met, I think we're kindred spirits in many ways. Maybe someday, when we're finally in a position to move to a farm, we can be neighbors.
    Until then, virtual neighbors will have to do.
    Hope that wasn't too creepy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw once, on someone's blog where I was stalking (just kidding, though I wish I were because it would be a little funnier), she posted a "reveal yourself" type of a post. Can't remember the term but it was really cute. Basically calling out everyone who ever reads her blog to simply leave a quick comment either telling how they met her in real life or else how they found her blog. Because of the kind of writer you are, Emily, I envision you with hundreds of followers who simply don't show their faces very often. I would love to see all your stalkers revealed... In the meantime, thanks for sharing your world with us all. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete