Sunday, January 30, 2011

How Do I Keep It Clean?

My Dear Friends,

I know you are sick of hearing about my house.  I am sick of talking/writing/hearing about my house, too.  Just one more thing.

It's not that I don't know how to clean.  When I am done with them, my floors are spotless, my mirrors have no streaks, and the beds have no wrinkles.  I am not a half-way sweeper or a haphazard laundry maid.  I am careful with my cleaning.  My problems is that I don't know how to keep it clean.

How do you do it?  How does it not matter when I drop in, no matter how new that baby is or how sick you've been or that your children have been home all day, your house is clean?  I feel like I am cleaning all day, but, obviously, I can't be.  Or maybe I am, but I'm doing it wrong.  How do you work meal time so that your kitchen is clean even while you are eating the dinner you just prepared in it?  What is it that goes on in your laundry room that keeps all socks united and the floor bare?  How do you do it all and maintain a relationship with your children?

Or do you lock your children in a padded cell?  I've considered it as possibly the only plausible solution to keeping things where I put them.

Timing is getting desperate.  My house goes on the market in hours and I know I'll need to have it ready for the caller who says, "We are in your driveway.  Can we view your house?"

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi.  You're my only hope.

Love,
The MotherShip

PS  Don't suggest Fly Lady.  I can't stand wearing shoes.  Plus, gross name.

6 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that the messier my house it, the better mom I've been that day. If it is possible to home school five kids in a smallish house and not have it get messy, I sure don't know the secret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you discover the secret, you should patent it and sell it!! You could make a MINT! My kitchen is only clean AFTER we are done eating and I do it--never WHILE we are eating!!!! My laundry room is the UGLIEST room in the house--that's why we shut the door! As far as keeping it clean to sell----you're a good Mom and your kids are getting old enough to understand the importance of having the house in state where it would take a few quick minutes to tidy it up when a potential buyer wants to come look. By the way, the people that bought our Snow Owl house could not have seen it in worse condition!! It really was the messiest it had been for DAYS and they were in the driveway and wanted to see it! They ended up buying it so.......maybe messy is the way to be, who knows???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have an answer. I'm not willing to sacrifice reading, school work, sleep, or daydreaming for a perpetually clean house...I suppose if you REALLY want it clean and just until it sells you could move your kids to my house for a few months... :D That's all I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had moments in time when I have kept my house perpetually clean. But not for more than a day or so. We try to do a 10" tidy right before my husband gets home from work. Unless you are doing FSBO, you have the right to say that you need 30-45" to pick up & get everyone out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard somewhere "housework done imperfectly still blesses my family." So instead of taking 30 minutes to vacuum everywhere, do a quick 15. Better yet, make a kid do it! This is where the "clean" standard gets lowered! If you only mop once a week, sweep every day. Dishes are easier to handle if done after every meal instead of waiting until after dinner to unload the dishwasher and reload the day's pile (I'm just discovering this one).
    With laundry, sorted piles can go into plastic baskets and then stack next to the machine awaiting their turn. I fold straight from the dryer into piles by family member.
    And by offering these tips I am no way admitting to always following them! Good luck Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep a few laundry baskets handy. When you have people coming to see your house, throw all of the clutter in the baskets and hide them in your garage as you leave.

    ReplyDelete