Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Nature of Home

My parent bought the house in 1978, when I was 18 months old.  They still live there.  

My niece's in-laws are Tongan.  They talked about how Tonga was paradise; their ocean-front town always has a breeze, they never have to water their gardens because even in the "dry season" there is enough water and the ever-blooming flowers mean that the air is always perfumed.  I lived in Hawaii for a year and though I loved it and it IS beautiful and temperate, nothing compares to home.

This is where I am from:


Yes, it was cold this week, but we had a wood fire crackling in the fireplace the whole time.  We had plenty to eat and, since our first days of driving were spent driving here, driving in the snow isn't too big of a deterrent to getting where you need to go.

Every branch on every tree was coated with a thick layer of powdered sugar.  


I didn't bring any of our snow clothes with us so we improvised a bit.


The kids had their own coats, but everything else was borrowed or improvised.  We used plastic bags and rubber bands.  They just HAD to be outside.  


Here she is on the top of the jungle gym singing Jingle Bells at the top of her lungs.  No, I don't know why we haven't had any broken bones.  (:


 This month we finish the last of the projects to prepare our house for sale.  We are anxious to get home.  If you were from this magical, fairy-touched place, wouldn't you?


1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you needed newspapers and plastic bread sacks! We would have helped dress the members of you lost tribe!

    Really enjoyed having you guys visit!

    ReplyDelete