My sister at her daughter's wedding. They let me step in on a photo.
I'll tell you what I have been thinking about. It is controversial.
We are having a baby.
At first glance, you might think, "How could that beautiful statement be controversial?"
She (we've decided that it is a girl so that expectations for that evasive boy type don't cause sadness when she comes out a she) will be our sixth child.
A few of you will not even think that is controversial, but many of you will--even if you wouldn't say it out loud. It is only good news for our family. I have been wanting another baby for a long time and didn't even take a test until I was eight weeks along for fear it would be negative. The children and husband are all excited and supportive so you need not worry that criticism is coming from within the walls of my home. But it is there. And some people are loud about it.
These are the reasons, all of which I have either heard or been personally told, and I will try not to share them with too much sarcasm.
- Having a large family is selfish.
- There is no way each child can be individually nurtured.
- It is not healthy for a woman to spend her entire adult life raising children.
- Someone will be left out.
- It is gluttonous to have so many children when others can't have any.
- Someone will go crazy (most likely the mother) and we will have to pay for her asylum care.
- It is financially irresponsible.
- In large families, the children are always unkempt.
- It is a drain on community and world resources.
- The older children didn't choose to have that many siblings, yet they must take care of them.
- How could you bring children into this horrible world?
I am gearing up for the rude stranger comments:
- Are all these YOURS???
- You must be crazy!
- Don't you know how to stop having children?
- You don't have to populate the world on your own, you know.
- Here is a card for Planned Parenthood. I'm sure they could help you.
- Mormon or Catholic? (I actually don't mind this one.)
- I hope you are paying for the care of all of these.
and so on.
I have a friend who had nine children. Once, when she was asked why she was having another child, she responded, coolly, "The angel told me to."
While I could sit and write a detailed response to all of the above comments, it isn't worth the time. If you are from a large family or have one yourself, you already know the answers. (My father-in-law, father to nine, once said to me, "Children are the only true joy you get in life." Good enough for me!) I do have a response prepared, though.
Someone has to pay for that stimulus bill.