Thursday, March 24, 2011

Everyone Has a Genius

I was talking to my mom on the phone recently, sharing insights I had learned from another mother.  I told her that I think everyone has a genius.  I think we should learn from people who have genius in an area where we are weak.  Mom agreed then said, "What if you don't know what your genius is?"


Although her question made me a little sad (to think that my amazing mother doesn't think she has a genius), I told her to ask her children.  She hesitated for a minute and then said, "Emily, what is my genius?"

The first thing that popped into my mind, was communication.  None of us struggled with communicating with our mom.  There may have been things we didn't want to tell her, but we told her.  The problems that many parents of teenagers have, Mom didn't because of this genius.  

Second, gospel teaching; both in a formal classroom setting and on an individual basis.  Mom never shied away from discussing the "meat" of the gospel with us.  If she didn't know an answer to one of my many questions, she wouldn't just say, "I don't know."  She said, "I don't know.  Let's find out."  She taught me to search for answers in the scriptures and through prayer.  She still calls me in the middle of the day to share an insight she just gained.

Those were two just off the top of my head.  There are others, of course.  I hope she asks my siblings and gets some other insights. 

It made me wonder, who else in my life shares their genius with me?  Who teaches me something that I just don't get, but comes naturally to them?  Do they know what their genius is?  Have I told them how they've helped me, improved me?  Have I thanked them?

Can you identify your genius?

2 comments:

  1. She is a genius with many things; her smile,her care of difficult boys,her ability to be at peace with the world, and, of course, choosing wisely her mate...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!! I love thinking about the different kinds of intelligence or genius. I love acknowledging that in others! I think it is difficult to recognize your own genius sometimes. Bless you for promptly helping your mom with what you feel is her genius. She's so lucky to be your mother.

    ReplyDelete